1927 Pierce Arrow Series 36 Enclosed-Drive Limousine
This particular vehicle started its life with the Pickwick Stage Line. The Company soon merged with the Limited Imperial Valley Stage Line and provided service to southern California back in the 1910’s and 1920’s. The Pickwick Stage Line first used Ford vehicles but soon moved to utilizing Locomobiles and Pierce Arrow touring vehicles for hire. The passengers could either ride outside the vehicle, sitting on the tool box, or sit comfortably inside, depending on the fare paid. In 1928 The Pickwick Stage Line officially merged the transportation side of the company with Greyhound and formed the Greyhound Corporation that we know today. The next legal owner that we could trace was Johnson Motor Company of Colton, Ca. They then sold the vehicle to Mr. Rex Parker of Colton CA. We have the original State of California registration certificates for 1952 and 1953 indicating that Mr. Parker was the registered owner of the vehicle. Mr. Parker owned the vehicle until 1965 when he sold it. During the time that Mr. Parker owned the vehicle it was used in the high desert in California. The car at that time was almost entirely complete and original, but had deteriorated cosmetically over the years, and needed to be restored. In October 1965 Mr. Parker sold the vehicle to Mr. Ernie Follis for the sum of $400 (I have the original receipt). In 1965 Mr. Follis was in the process of acquiring old vehicles, especially Pierce Arrows. Mr. Follis is well known in the Pierce Arrow community and is considered an expert on Pierce-Arrow restoration. This car was acquired from Mr. Follis in 2005. During the life of his ownership, some 40 years, he had stored the car indoors, and had done enough work to assure that the engine started but did not do any restoration work. Later as you can see the car was completely restored to concours condition which resulted in a 3rd in class at Pebble Beach, an impressive result against world class competition!